[plug] OT: AS400

Alan Graham alan.graham at infonetsystems.com.au
Mon Aug 26 21:45:49 WST 2002

It's been a while since I've done any As/400 work, but AFAIK, Lateral
(in the IBM building, West Perth) and Focal Systems (Hyatt Centre,
Adelaide Tce) are (were?) the only AS/400 development houses in Perth.
They (or IBM) may be able to point you toward someone selling one.  You
may be on to a loser, as at their height (the heady days of the late
80's) there were only 30 or so sites in Perth.

Do you know what architecture you need?  Cisc (the grey one) or Risc
(the black one)?  That's important because the cisc boxes can't run the
later versions of OS/400, which had vastly improved support for later
things like, say, TCP/IP...

The RDBMS on the AS /400 was a copy od DB/2 called DB/400.  There's not
a lot different in terms of functionality, but huge differences because
of driving the DB using RPG/400 and the command language CL.  Although
you could pick up a C compiler, most shops didn't bother because for
business style apps, RPG was far faster to develop in.

Email me direct with more details of what you're trying to achieve, and
I'll see if I can help.

Regards

Alan Graham