[plug] Tony Clark's posting - was Re: [plug] RH7.x

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 27 10:17:54 WST 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, garry wrote:
>

> > Brett,
> >
> > please do this in a court of law or at least in private email.. I think the
> > list would be rather better for its exclusion.. I dont know or care about the
> > differences you have with him, but I feel confident it has little to do with
> > PLUG.
> >
> > 8^)==
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Garry
> >

> > > I remember you now.
> > >
> > > You are the filthy scum who decided to criminally defame me on this
> > > list, back in February.
> >

> This is a matter of gross misconduct that has occurred on the list, and
> the person (Tony Clark) appears to have retained the belligerent attitude.
>
> He criminally defamed me on this list in February, and has been allowed
> to remain on the list. He used the list to commit a criminal actioon
> against me. He further used the resources of the entity telia.com, for
> criminal purposes, of which I am sure that telia.com were aware,
> making telia.com party to his criminal action, and therefore a criminal
> organisation.
>
> The issue was recently raised on this list, about the attitude of
> another list member, whose attitude as shown in postings on the list,
> was detrimental to the cause of Linux, of the PLUG, and of the mailing
> list.
>
> When these people are allowed to use the list for gratuitous arrogance
> and belligerence, it is an issue that affects the list, as Matt has
> previously used a policy of not moderating the list.
>
> However, as Tony Clark has previously used the list for criminal
> purposes; for criminal defamation and malicious damage, and, as his
> continued presence on the list indicates that his use of the list is
> regarded by him as a vehicle for hate mail, then it is an issue that is
> related directly to the list; to the conduct of the list.
>
> With the Linux conference coming up, and the installfest, and, the
> ongoing attempts by many people, to convert people to the use of Linux,
> perhaps it is time that standards be imposed on messages posted to the
> list, to take Linux in Perth, out of the gutter and into the public
> domain, with standards of behaviour that are generally acceptable to
> the public.
>
> It is an easy enough thing, for subscribers to the list, to limit what
> they say, to making queries about Linux, or, offering advice in response
> to those queries, or offering other helpful advice about Linux and its
> applications (as Jacqueline does about Open Office, etc), or
> discussing PLUG, or, as in the recent discussion and poll about
> attachments and viruses, about the list operation, without imposing
> arrogance and belligerence (although the arrogance and belligerence of
> some, surfaced in that discussion).
>
> If subscribers are unable to keep the arrogance and belligerence off
> [...]

In relation to the above, there is an aspect that I add; if someone on
this list, without any form of provocation, and, for no apparent reason,
suddenly posted a message on this list, claiming that Jeremy had
embezzled his clients' funds, or that Matt had (as the term would be
used by the public) "hacked" into WASP's clients' computers and made
unauthorised use of the computers, the reaction of the list, may have
been different, but the nature of the defamation would be the same.

And, those instances, and discussion of the action of posting such
defamatory messagess, if they occurred, on the list, would be equally
relevant to the list, as the concept concerns the conduct of the list.

Oh, and if anyone wonders why I included the header of Garry's posting,
when I replied to it on the list, it was to show that I was replying to
a posting on the list, and, not responding on the list, to a message
sent off-list.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988