[OT] Crim Def - was Re: [plug] RH7.x

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Tue Aug 27 11:51:52 WST 2002

> > I concur with Gary.  We are not a vigilante group, if you have legal
issue
> > take it to the courts - that's why we have them.

> So, as the chairman of the SLPWA, you would allow criminal defamation to
> be a practice in the SLPWA, as the SLPWA is "not a vigilante group"?

No, as a plug member I am offended by your submission to this list.
Correct, SLPWA is not a vigilante group either.

I am not qualified to determine what is "criminal defamation" and, I
suspect, neither are you.  The proper arena for that determination is a
court of law.  Thus Gary's recommendation to take it to that arena.
Repeatedly and vehemently claiming "criminal defamation" on this list does
nothing constructive.

If I suspected "criminal defamation" was occuring in SPLWA, I would take it
to the appropriate authorities in exactly the same way I (and others) are
futilely recommending to you.

> Oh, and, regarding  the "take it to the courts", perhaps, Jeremy could
> advise you, as to roughly how much it would cost to get such an action
> up, and, why member so the general public, therefore, do not launch such
> actions, as they are prohibitively expensive.

But even though ineffectual and degrading, ranting on a public mailing list
is free and that is your chosen approach.  I couldn't comment on court costs
but it does not negate the fact that the courts are the appropriate avenue
to pursue the issue.

> That is one reason why mailing lists generally impose some standards on
> acceptable conduct (and, as otherwise publishers of the defamations, to
> protect themselves againmst litigation).

That sounds like the censorship you are also so vehemently opposed to.  This
is an open forum (as decided by the PLUG committee), and they have
apparently decided to not impose any censorship on this list in the
interests of maintaining that openness.  I also don't believe that it is
"general" for lists to impose any hard restrictions on posts, only
guidelines for conduct.  Do you believe that you are posting within the
(seemingly unwritten) standards for this list?  I think not.  I and others
have tried to politely point this out to you but you seem determined to
ignore all advice.

I won't be responding again on this list, so for eveyone else, please excuse
this digression.

- Brian.