[plug] Problem with gethostbyname

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Aug 28 13:03:39 WST 2002

>>Seems like it is failing on a reverse DNS lookup.  Does the machine
>>really exist in Bigponds DNS.  It doesn't seem to resolve to anything
>>here.
>

> [leonb at leon leonb]$ host -v CPE-144-137-234-225.wa.bigpond.net.au

<snip successful reverse and forward lookups>

When I was on BigPond cable (briefly, before being badly screwed by
telstra) I found that the DNS servers that their DHCP server assigns you
are _not_ the DNS servers the rest of the world sees. It is quite likely
to be the same for dialup. I had all sorts of fun with addrs that
weren't in Telstra's local DNS but only in the world-accessable one and
vice versa.

This was particularly common with reverse lookup addrs - I had a problem
where the reverse lookup worked but looking up the resulting FQDN to
verify the IP/name match would fail. I don't remember if I ever fixed it
but I do seem to remember it was related to the weird DNS setup telstra
has on cable.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)