[plug] Debian ver 3.0

Lyndon Kroker ljkroker at netvigator.com
Fri Aug 30 09:15:30 WST 2002

Hi James,

> file:   /instmnt/pool/main/i/iptables_1-2.6a-5_i386.deb was corrupt

AFAIK, the iptables is the new packet filtering (firewalling) package.  If
the corrupt file is on your CD-ROM, you might be able to change your
/etc/apt/sources.list.  You can then get this package from a Debian mirror.

After an install I usually rename /etc/apt/sources.list to
/etc/apt/sources.old.  I then run apt-setup to configure new sources using
http or ftp (or whatever).  This has to be done as root.

After your sources are setup your then:
  # apt-get update
which will bring your computer up to date will all (8000+ !) of the available
Debian packages.

Finally to install your iptables package (are you using your machine as a
firewall?) you type something like:
  # apt-get install iptables

Note that in order to get this to work you will need to be connected to the
Internet.  The iptables package is not needed for basic web access.

I am new to Debian as well but most of what I said should be fairly accurate.
 If not, someone on the list will point out any discrepancies.

Cheers,

Lyndon