[plug] Stripping out Markups in SQL

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Fri Aug 30 14:34:29 WST 2002

Does anyone know a nice-ish way to strip markups out of a string field in
MySQL? I need it to sort records by the visible text, where SOME entries
contain markups (either at the start, or later in the string...)

What I currently have is:
   IF(LOCATE('<',RESOURCE.TITLE,1)=1 &&
LOCATE('>',RESOURCE.TITLE,1)>0,SUBSTRING(RESOURCE.TITLE,LOCATE('>',RESOURCE.TITLE,1)+1),RESOURCE.TITLE)

This only works if the Markup is at the start of the string, though...
I could toy with using both locate positions  to chop out the middle bit, but,
ugh! It's getting messy. ^_^

And yet, all I want to do is the equivalent of the perl:  s/\<.*?\>//gs;

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |