[plug] Vncserver problem

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Sat Aug 31 09:45:24 WST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steege, Phil E" <phil.e.steege at lmco.com>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 9:28 PM
Subject: [plug] Vncserver problem

<snip>

> When I try to connect from WinVNC, using vncviewer to the ip address of
the
> linux box, it will not connect.  It doesn't even ask for a password.

You need to connect to x.x.x.x:1 - don't forget the :1 at the end, which
corresponds to the :1 in the VNCSERVERS definition.  It wasn't clear from
your email if you were already doing that.  If you are already doing that,
you may need to modify any firewalling rules that are present.

You can also use putty to set up an encrypted session, and run VNC tunnelled
through that connection.  In the putty 'tunnels' section, add local port
5901 to map to 'localhost:5901'.  Then log in via putty, then point
vncviewer at 'localhost:1'.

Regards,
Steve
--