PINE - was Re: [plug] Linux.Conf.Au Update.

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Dec 1 16:20:43 WST 2002

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Bret Busby wrote:

> Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:47:23 +0800 (WST)
> From: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: PINE - was Re: [plug] Linux.Conf.Au Update.
>
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
>

> > On the font's being too small
> > Start and Xterm hold down control and button1 click (Left mouse)  You will see
> > a meneu of varying font sizes On "huge" I can read my eamil from about 2
> > meters away at 1280x1024 (100dpi).  So there should be no issues with small
> > fonts.  If you want to set the default then email the list, we can help you
> > then.
> >

> 17" monitor ($189)
>
> Opened up an xterm session; <CTRL><non-dominant mouse button click>
> brings up menu with Preferences (also available from Settings menu in
> xterm window). No "huge" option for font provided; in gnome-terminal
> window, "General" tab shows font selection. In selecting font sizes up
> to 54 point (for avant-garde, or 16 point (for clean), then Apply, then
> OK, no change is effected to displayed font in xterm window. So, using
> PINE on 17 inch monitor, with Red Hat 7.3, I now have the two army
> sizes for the displayed text; too big and too small.

Worked it out (kind of).

My XWindows runs gnome terminal, not xterm.

xterm requires running gnome terminal, then typing xterm and the command
prompt, to get xterm.

xterm is not available from any of the menu's in XWindows.

Strange thing; in the message above, I stated that I could select font
changes and font size changes, in gnome terminal, but they would not be
effected.

It works, however, on Anne's computer. We are both using RH 7.3, and
both using sawfish as the windows manager.

Any ideas?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988