[plug] [OT] What is a Windows Freeze?

I am the LinuxAlien linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 7 13:22:52 WST 2002

I was wondering what exactly happens when windows freezes. The times when
the screen remains them same, the mouse doesn't move and pressing Num Lock
doesn't turn on the little green light. Whats is the computer doing? Is the
OS still functioning but has such a high load it can't even send a refresh
signal to the mouse, keyboard, or video card? What's is the CPU doing? Is
it just sitting there idle like the hard disk? When my Windows box froze
today it had to do with my MIDI port and windows trying to access the MIDI
port it with its little MIDI mapper and me using a really expensive sound
card with built on hardware synthesizer and playing back MIDI compositions
through the hardware synthesizer. My guess is that the hardware had a
hiccup and that caused every thing to crash. Obviously this could still
happen in Linux as it was hardware.
So... What is the CPU doing, what is the OS doing?
Thanks
Tim
p.s. Anybody know of a good MIDI composer program for Linux that supports
Lyrics?

LinuxAlien

Riverton, Perth, WA

Australian Linux Technical Conference, Perth 2003 http://linux.conf.au -