[plug] [V.OT] What is a Windows Freeze?

Dion tenzero at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 7 16:38:12 WST 2002

This may be a hardware problem, or some kind of hang associated with a
lack of memory.Windows doesn't handle a lack of ram to go around very
well.  Windows also doesn't let go of devices very well without a reboot
nor is the operating system built to enable it to kill the failled
access to said hardware.
Linux is however pretty good at this and if it was the device, linux
would keep running and you would be able to kill the stalled process in
most cases.  Try to see if you can repeat the circumstances that led to
the crashed doze box.  You may find it is a loose cable....windows is
really suseptible to crashing if cables lose contact even momentarily.

As for the second bit about midi, is your really expensive sound card
supported under linux?? As for midi compositing software have a look at
this place which seem to be into a lot of linux sound related stuff
including midi.
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/one-page.html#midi

Best of luck.
D.

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which may adequately be explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte