[plug] web serving alternatives

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Wed Dec 11 17:10:55 WST 2002

Without wanting to provoke a flamewar about what the best web server scripting
or content management solution are best, I had a couple of questions that I
don't know where to look for the answers. Perhaps someone can help?

1) When it comes to small files (ie:plain HTML) which method of serving is
faster: the UNIX filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or
something else?

2) When it comes to large files (ie: mp3's) which method of serving is faster:
the UNIX filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or something else?

3) Whilst there are many methods of authentication and many considerations
when it comes to security, generally speaking, which is faster: the UNIX
filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or something else?

4) Are there any major pros and cons when it comes to serving from the UNIX
filesystem or a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc)?

There's lots of material on the web when it comes to comparing different
databases, scripting languages and CMS's, but I'm not sure where to find out
(how to search for) information comparing fundamental storage and serving of
files to the WWW. Any thoughts, links, crude humour appreciated. :P

sol