[plug] web serving alternatives

shayne oneill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Dec 12 12:11:42 WST 2002

> Without wanting to provoke a flamewar about what the best web server
scripting
> or content management solution are best, I had a couple of questions that
> don't know where to look for the answers. Perhaps someone can help?
>
> 1) When it comes to small files (ie:plain HTML) which method of serving is
> faster: the UNIX filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or
> something else?
Theoretically a database ought to be, but generally file systems are. Zope
is fun
but it's ssslllooowwwwww. As for the combination of the two, no simple
answer...
Theres of course the third option-> software! A mod-linked .so (or.dll on
win) can
latch itself into memory space and be freaking fast.

> 2) When it comes to large files (ie: mp3's) which method of serving is
faster:
> the UNIX filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or something
else?
Filesystems... Databases lose there edge (or at least the lil' guys like
MySQL and
PostgreSQL) on bigger blobs.

> 3) Whilst there are many methods of authentication and many considerations
> when it comes to security, generally speaking, which is faster: the UNIX
> filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or something else?
Auth tends to be fast anywhichway, but IMAPs still my favorite.

> 4) Are there any major pros and cons when it comes to serving from the
UNIX
> filesystem or a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc)?
Databases separate content from form..... Databases require more work. Many
things.
Plain old HTML is portable tho.