[plug] web serving alternatives

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Dec 12 12:24:49 WST 2002

Sol (sol at autonomon.net) wrote:
> Without wanting to provoke a flamewar about what the best web server scripting
> or content management solution are best, I had a couple of questions that I
> don't know where to look for the answers. Perhaps someone can help?
>
> 1) When it comes to small files (ie:plain HTML) which method of serving is
> faster: the UNIX filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or
> something else?

Serving from memory. Mod_mmap in Apache is one example. Other web
sevrers can do this. Or write your own!

> 2) When it comes to large files (ie: mp3's) which method of serving is faster:
> the UNIX filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or something else?

Doesnt matter. Large files atke a long tmie to serve. All methods are
going to be slow. So look for other metrics to compare by.

> 3) Whilst there are many methods of authentication and many considerations
> when it comes to security, generally speaking, which is faster: the UNIX
> filesystem, a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc), or something else?

How do you authenticate by filesystem? ;)

You're options are:
	Basic Authentication
	SSL Client Certificate Authentication
	Username + Password + Cookie

Pure speed is probably Client Auth, because all data for the
authentication is in memory. I'm assuming you're doing SSL here.

> 4) Are there any major pros and cons when it comes to serving from the UNIX
> filesystem or a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc)?

filesystem:  is fast.
DB: is dynamic (you can programatically permit or deny access, or
substitute other content, or whatever).

> There's lots of material on the web when it comes to comparing different
> databases, scripting languages and CMS's, but I'm not sure where to find out
> (how to search for) information comparing fundamental storage and serving of
> files to the WWW. Any thoughts, links, crude humour appreciated. :P

Some people point to:
	* Put all static content on FS, and put links to it ni the
	  database
	* Store everything in the database (see my personal site for
	  tips on BLOBs)

*shrug*

  James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html

I am moving to London on January 27th, arriving London January 28th.