[plug] Persistant ppp?

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Dec 15 20:31:22 WST 2002

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:36:10 +0800 Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> > Would running the "kppp &" as root, then allowing the kids to go for
> > it be
> > the best way?
>
> Nope; use the /etc/ppp stuff and the "pon" and "poff" commands. "man
> pon". Its not wonderfulyl user friendly but it works well.

Hi Garry

Further to Craig's pon/poff idea, the Computer Angels setup adds all new users
to the dip group which means that they can all pon. Trouble is, I _think_ the
user who pons (v.) must be the one who poffs (v.); can anyone confirm if this
is so and why it is so ?

It might be more useful to use sudo pon and sudo poff instead so the net
can be downed by anyone later in the day.

We have a CA member working on the mother of all dial-up GUIs that puts kppp
in the shade but we'll trumpet his solution loudly when it's ready to go (and
the reasons he has built it this way). There are still a couple of little
tweeks needed :-)

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/