[plug] Persistant ppp?

Russ Pitman rjp at belle.apana.org.au
Mon Dec 16 00:04:31 WST 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 05:11:59PM +0800, garry wrote:
> How do you set up a PPP dialup which will allow a user to log-out, different
> user log-in, and remain up.
>
> Friend of a friend has several kids who he wants to use the computer with
> separate IDs, but doesn't want to pay the Telstra tax on each occasion..
>
> Would running the "kppp &" as root, then allowing the kids to go for it be
> the best way?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Garry

If root brings up ppp with pon only root acess can take it down. On a multi
user standalone box any user can log on and off and use whatever services
they have permissions for without affecting the ppp conection. I would be
wary of giving any user but root permission to dial up at will in this
scenario.

Dial up with pon and let Telstra or the ISP worry about the connection.

Managing the users acess permissions is an excersise for the sysadmin :-))

Cheers,

--
 russ
linux.conf.au 2003	  The Australian Linux Technical Conference