[plug] Dial up and email Scripts

I am the LinuxAlien linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Mon Dec 16 17:55:20 WST 2002

The person I am setting this up for has some memory problems and before in
windows when it didn't automatically disconnect she was disconnecting
before it had finished checking/send and she was also forgetting to disconnect.
The reason I haven't had much experience in this area is that I have no
access to a modem of my own and an ISP account that I could use. I have
once used KPPP to dial up on a Debian box but had trouble with the
authentication. I aim to convince my Dad to have a Debian gate way but he
sees no need for other computers to have access to the Internet except when
he connects, and even then he sometimes kills the proxy.
At 14:10 16/12/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>Hmm... you may wish to consider moving your goals a bit in the interests
>of a more friendly environment.
>
>I /strongly/ suggest you have them use kppp rather than pon/poff etc -
>feedback is far more useful with that configuration and its useful to new
>users.
>
>Sylpheed may have "pre-mail-check" and "post-mail-check" hooks to call
>external scripts, in which case you may be able to call kppp and tell it
>to dial (man kppp, but as an example "kppp -c myaccount -q") and
>disconnect (kppp -k). If not, perhaps a little training might take the
>place of automation - it cannot be too hard for the user to dial out and
>disconnect manually ; this also gives them greater control over
>disconnection time and call costs if they're going to respond to mail
>immediately.
>
>Kppp will provide the feedback you need.
>
>I'm somewhat surprised that you say "p.s. I have had no experience with
>Linux in Dial up and Emails (sending or checking)" but are setting up
>somebody else (computer illiterate?) with such. Are you going to be able
>to provide the support they'll need? I don't mean to sound like I'm being
>overly negative, just pointing out that its usually best to become
>thouroughly familiar with something through personal use before
>reccomending it to others or setting it up for others.
>
>Craig Ringer

LinuxAlien

Riverton, Perth, WA