[plug] Dial up and email Scripts

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Dec 16 14:10:56 WST 2002

Hmm... you may wish to consider moving your goals a bit in the interests
of a more friendly environment.

I /strongly/ suggest you have them use kppp rather than pon/poff etc -
feedback is far more useful with that configuration and its useful to
new users.

Sylpheed may have "pre-mail-check" and "post-mail-check" hooks to call
external scripts, in which case you may be able to call kppp and tell it
to dial (man kppp, but as an example "kppp -c myaccount -q") and
disconnect (kppp -k). If not, perhaps a little training might take the
place of automation - it cannot be too hard for the user to dial out and
disconnect manually ; this also gives them greater control over
disconnection time and call costs if they're going to respond to mail
immediately.

Kppp will provide the feedback you need.

I'm somewhat surprised that you say "p.s. I have had no experience with
Linux in Dial up and Emails (sending or checking)" but are setting up
somebody else (computer illiterate?) with such. Are you going to be able
to provide the support they'll need? I don't mean to sound like I'm
being overly negative, just pointing out that its usually best to become
thouroughly familiar with something through personal use before
reccomending it to others or setting it up for others.

Craig Ringer