[plug] samba weirdness

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Dec 17 17:19:43 WST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Sol wrote:

> I'm not even sure if this is a problem or not. I just did an ordinary
> apt-get upgrade on a Debian Woody box (didn't touch the sources or
> nothing) and one of the 29 packages upgraded was samba. When it
> unpacked it complained:
>
> The file /etc/samba/debian_config does not exist! There is something
> wrong with the installation of Samba on this system. Please reinstall
> Samba. I can't continue.
>
> /etc/init.d/samba restart does the same thing. So
> I "touch /etc/samba/debian_config" and restarted samba and this time it
> works! But it's an empty file. I'm worried that this might cause
> problems in the future but don't know anything about this.
>
> To quote a great mind: Please explain?

Why it's gone I cannot say but the contents of that file tell samba
how to run (stand alone vs inetd) ... you should be able to get it back with

dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low samba

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!