[plug] samba weirdness

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Tue Dec 17 17:03:03 WST 2002

I'm not even sure if this is a problem or not. I just did an ordinary
apt-get upgrade on a Debian Woody box (didn't touch the sources or
nothing) and one of the 29 packages upgraded was samba. When it
unpacked it complained:

The file /etc/samba/debian_config does not exist! There is something
wrong with the installation of Samba on this system. Please reinstall
Samba. I can't continue.

/etc/init.d/samba restart does the same thing. So
I "touch /etc/samba/debian_config" and restarted samba and this time it
works! But it's an empty file. I'm worried that this might cause
problems in the future but don't know anything about this.

To quote a great mind: Please explain?

regards,
sol