[plug] phpPgAdmin v2.4.2 users? config error??

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 17 23:54:52 WST 2002

Have used an earlier version of phpPgAdmin without problems.  Now have the
source for the latest stable release (2.4.2) but am having a problem with
the darndest of simple things!  The config file (config.inc.php)
originally ships as config.inc.php-dist and this is renamed to
config.inc.php and edited to suit the target environment.  Standard stuff,
no worries, you'd say.

Except that for some *&^%@## reason the simple
   if (file_exists("config.inc.php")) statement fails to return the
correct value, or so it seems.  Yes, the file DOES exist, I'd stake my
back teeth on it :-)   In terms of pseudocode...

  if (file_exists("config.inc.php")) {
    include the darn thing}
else {
    complain loudly and quit }

This has been reported as a bug on sourceforge but someone else has chimed
in to say that it works out of the box on his system!   Changing the sense
of the test to if !(file_exists)... makes the loud complaint go away but
raises other issues - not yet investigated.

My question... what would cause a simple test such as this to fail?  Is
there some php config parameter that needs to be set to define the sense
of such tests??   The file permissions are set to 644 (rw for owner, r for
all others) so I think that it should at least be visible!!

Any / all suggestions appreciated!
Denis