[plug] Xbox

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Dec 23 19:48:08 WST 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:30:54 +0800 garry <garbuck at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hardly Normal has the XBox on sale till Chrissy eve for $284.. Limit 3 per
> person.
>
> Hey, just as well that new microsoft free ROM is out.. Server anyone?

Interesting point. I'm wondering what the power consumption is like
compared with a standard PC. What I have in mind is taking advantage
of the static ADSL IP and setting a up a little server at home. What
I've balked at is the power consumption (CO2 generation mainly) of
households serving their own web content etc. If the xbox has reasonable
consumption then it would suit the purpose. For a server, graphics, sound,
etc could all be powered off on the main board if this is feasible thus
lowering consumption further. Can the CDROM be unplugged or will xbox spit ?

I guess the next step is a USB NIC so the xbox becomes a firewall/server or
whatever other functions could be packed into the one box. Hence:

big blue room -> ADSL modem -> ex-xbox -> USBNIC -> little switch -> rest of home network

I guess the other way is a USB ADSL modem. That combo might use less power.
Is there a M$-USB-ish front port to normal USB port adapter dongle yet ?

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/