[plug][still OT] Muslim Xmas

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Dec 25 22:30:05 WST 2002

On Wednesday 25 December 2002 10:03 pm, garry wrote:
> I think the real followers of Islam, not the ones who use fanaticism to
> justify any political or social agenda, would be pretty ambivalent. Being
> Dedicated and trying to live in the 12th Century are not mutually
> obligative, IMHO..

> Isn't the philosophy of Islam pretty much live-and-let-live?

Sort of. A lot depends on which end of the Qu'ran you value most. The early
bits are pretty tolerant, the later bits are not.

Then there's the interpretive bias that you apply to translate it to real-life
practice. That tends to bugger up the homogeneous approach to any set of
rules, religious or otherwise.

> Let's celebrate Chinese new Year, Ramadam etc. Another BBQ. Beaut.

> Who's shout?

Ah, a pragmatist. (-:

BTW, s/Who's/Whose/ - who's == `who is', whose == `whoever owns this'

Cheers: Leon