[plug] adsl connection help

Kai vk6ksj at siwa.com.au
Thu Dec 26 16:27:45 WST 2002

> The "view anything on my Linux machine" is way too vague.

Sorry, trying to browse using Mozilla to my real IP address, without
specifying a proxy, gives this:
The connection was refused
Trying to browse using Mozilla to my internal IP address displays the web
pages on my Apache server just fine.

> > Yeah, billion is set as default route.
> > I'm using Red Hat 8 (no suggestions to change to Debian or BSD pls),
> > browsing from machines on my internal network to my linux box is fine
using
> > an internal IP address, browsing from inside to my external IP I need to
use
> > a proxy. I have asked some other people and they can browse to my
external
> > IP fine.
>
> Will try to answer, since I have the same router.
>
> OK, I am guessing you are running a
> web server, and redirecting port 80 from your Billion modem/router
> to a linux box. Your 'external IP' belongs to the billion, and its not
> redirecting port 80 for internal packets, just packets from the ADSL side.
> In fact, the billion runs its own web-server for admin purposes.
> Is this a problem?  I dont see any settings to change this. You could
> put a port redirector on your linux box. (ipchains etc)

I have set my Billion to listen on port 81, if you want to set an
alternative port for your Billion to listen on, go to the Admin Privelage
section in the left hand frame and click Misc Configuration, have a look at
the right hand side frame, around the middle and you'll see HTTP server
port - change that to whatever you want, save the changes and give the
router a reboot from the web interface.
I have set the virtual services section to redirect port 80, and other
needed ports, to my Linux box.

I hope that's not being to vague.