[plug] accessing MySql

levsky at rave.iinet.net.au levsky at rave.iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 28 09:56:26 WST 2002

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 12:24:48AM +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> I have a client that wants to have his developer access their MySql
> database from a Windows Xp laptop to continue doing some development
> work.  Besides making sure the port is open on the router what else must
> be done in order for the developer to access the database.  He is using
> MySqlODBC v3.51. He is using a Visual Basic front-end app.  Is there
> anything else that is required?  The database resides on a on a server
> that is in an VPN configuration.
> I've set up iptables to accept packets for for --dport 3306.

How do you mean "the server is in a VPN configuration".  You mean the developer
VPNs into their network to get access to the database?

If it's not working, my immediate suggestions would be:
a) Chuck an iptables -j LOG line in for destination port 3306 to make sure
the data is actually getting to the mysql server.
b) Check that mysql is listening on port 3306 (some distributions' packages
by default run mysql with --skip-networking, which causes it only to listen
on a UNIX socket
c) Check database permissions for the IP that he's coming in from.

Hope this is of some help

Cheers

Mark

--
Do not look into laser with remaining eye.