[plug] accessing MySql

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun Dec 29 12:05:17 WST 2002

see JLM>
On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 09:56, levsky at rave.iinet.net.au wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 12:24:48AM +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> > I have a client that wants to have his developer access their MySql
> > database from a Windows Xp laptop to continue doing some development
> > work.  Besides making sure the port is open on the router what else must
> > be done in order for the developer to access the database.  He is using
> > MySqlODBC v3.51. He is using a Visual Basic front-end app.  Is there
> > anything else that is required?  The database resides on a on a server
> > that is in an VPN configuration.
> > I've set up iptables to accept packets for for --dport 3306.
>
> How do you mean "the server is in a VPN configuration".  You mean the developer
> VPNs into their network to get access to the database?
>
JLM> Yes it's in a VPN configuration. We are looking at having the
developer VPN into their server, but not too sure how to do this "yet"
I would assume he would need some sort of VPN Client on his Windows XP
Pro laptop.

> If it's not working, my immediate suggestions would be:
> a) Chuck an iptables -j LOG line in for destination port 3306 to make sure
> the data is actually getting to the mysql server.
> b) Check that mysql is listening on port 3306 (some distributions' packages
> by default run mysql with --skip-networking, which causes it only to listen
> on a UNIX socket
> c) Check database permissions for the IP that he's coming in from.

This is part of the problem, the ip address is a private ip address,
I've opened the port through the firewall, but I suspect my ISP has not
opened the port on the main router (anyone know of a way to check this
on a Cisco router (2621)?) from within a VPN.
I have the VPN from our server to theirs and to my home (as I do
monitoring of the network) I use a complete Linux solution for this, but
I'm thinking since he uses WXPP and we have the mysqlODBC loaded he
should be able to access the database.

--
Jon Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>
MMT Networks Pty Ltd