[plug] poll, linmag

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun Dec 29 09:37:20 WST 2002

Interesting you should mention the old Corporate IT Mag.  As you know
APC used to run it as a separate mag and I thought it was great as it
focused on the Corporate side of the IT industry, having the CD that had
all the latest patches for the 3 OS made it even a better mag, because
it didn't fill a CD with junk shareware apps that in a corporate
environment had no place.  M$ stopped them from putting their patches
and updates on the Cd why? I do not know. Then APC took it off the
market, but they did try to run it incorporated  into APC, but again
that failed because in all honesty it wasn't in the correct environment.
I personally preferred the Corporate IT mag and the fact that the CD was
filled with very useful stuff.  At the time a Novell patch for instance
was around 100+ megs, and no one could (with a 56k dialup account) or
would attempt to d/l the patches, so the only way of getting them was
through a subscription.

I suggest that if your mag is going to focus on Linux and Linux related
issues then you may have a better chance in succeeding if some of the
following issues are kept in mind:

1) cost - as we all know here in Aus that the cost for Linux mags are
above the $10 mark making them expensive or geared to a certain sector.
For the price paid, I do not feel there is enough content for me to
spend the money on it.  APC & PC World mag are priced right and it
covers a fair bit of the IT sector.  Although APC and PC World sections
on Linux could use some real input. I buy these mags (monthly-PC World;
and subscription - APC) only for the Linux section only so I'm really
wasting money on the other bits as they do not interest me (occasionally
the hardware section catches me). I especially look out for the latest
patches from M$ and Linux (but I've noticed that the Linux patches or
updates are alway too old to use e.g their kernel updates, etc.).

2) content - make sure to cover the various distributions, cover
integration issues with other OS ( e.g Novell's eDirectory for Linux)
and what other OS are doing with Linux integration. Also, cover issues
for the both the beginner, intermediate and advance sectors.  This is
where a few IT mags fail, it's either geared to the beginner or to the
advance user.  I know it's not easy to gear the material to everyone,
but there has to be a happy meeting somewhere.  Maybe posting links to
other sources should help in this area.  An example is I've just started
using MySql and I'm working my way through the online tutorial and I
must admit this type of instruction is what is needed in a lot of the
major apps.

3) good samples and explanations in script writing, programming, etc.
I've noticed that a lot of places assumes that everyone is a programmer,
again a link to a source for better understanding should also accompany
the articles.

4) CD's - latest version of the distributions, patches, updates, code
samples, utilities and apps, few games if they really are worth a look
at.

Last but not least listen to your readers after all they are the ones
that are buying the mag.

Good luck, I'll be looking forward to it's success.

JLM

--
Jon Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>
MMT Networks Pty Ltd