[plug] Older PCs can't handle broadband

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Mon Dec 30 11:15:08 WST 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Arie Hol wrote:

> I was making no assumptions, the subject line was simply quoting the heading
> on the article, my intention was only to let people know about the article
> itself, because I thought it may have been of interest.

No worries Arie. I certainly cant compain about it being OT, given some of
the recent traffic :-)
   My comments refered to the sloppy journalism in the article
- hardly unusual for any news, let alone IT.

> As regards your comment :
> >  Anyway, older PCs dont have USB ports :-)
>
> Older PC's may not have USB ports,

Note the smiley. Some of us still find our 300/500 etc MHz machines still
rather useful on the network, and dont like to call them old.

> but what about people who have installed
> USB interface cards to add USB capability to their systems ?

 From the LINUX viewpoint, its simple. You should get an ethernet modem
anyway. This is just one more reason.
  The Billion is fantastic - has USB and ethernet. Crossover cable
included for those without an existing network. DHCP, NAT, DNS, PPPoE, ...
The only config is to select your ISP, and give username and password.

  But given the cost of broadband in Oz, I cant see too many people with
old PCs using it.

--
    One seldom sees a monument to a committee.