[plug] querying an ntp server

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Feb 1 11:11:13 WST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Buddrige, David wrote:

> I am currently trying to set up a linux server to synchronise its time with
> another machine using ntpd.  I have been going through the documentation
> that I have been able to locate on the internet (there does not appear to be
> a man page), and I _think_ I have it configured correctly.  However in order
> to check that it is operating as normal, I need to be able to determine what
> the ntp server's time is set to so that I can subsequently compare it with
> the time on my local machine.  Unfortunately, I don't have a login on the
> remote machine - it is on a client site on the other side of town.  Is there
> a command that can be used to query the time on an ntp server?

ntptrace.

/etc# ntptrace
localhost: stratum 4, offset 0.000011, synch distance 0.18842
prometheus.cantech.net.au: stratum 3, offset 0.005146, synch distance 0.17824
poseidon.cantech.net.au: stratum 2, offset 0.006742, synch distance 0.16800
murgon.cs.mu.OZ.AU: stratum 1, offset -0.010337, synch distance 0.00111, refid 'GPS'

As you can see it's kinda like tracroute BUT for ntp.  It shows you each
serevr and the difference between your clock and theirs.

It will only work correctly after ntpd has been running for about 24 hours.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */