[plug] querying an ntp server

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 1 11:27:02 WST 2002

There is very extensive html documentation that comes with the Mandrake
package in the usual place - I presume other distros do the same.
"/sbin/ntpq" is your friend in this case.  Run it in a console and type
help for the command list.  "peers" is the most useful command - the
docs describe the format returned which includes sync specs and which
server of the number (you are using a number of servers arn't you?) you
give it in the config file is actually being used for sync.  ntp is
extreemly involved depending on how far you want to go!

Comparing times is actually only a superficial way of checking that
everything is working properly as ntp compares server performance and
stability before selecting servers, backups and update timimg - you may
need to specify preferred servers etc to get the stability you want
without hunting.  ntpq is very useful here.

BillK