[plug] Fwd: Linux in libraries

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Fri Feb 1 13:59:11 WST 2002

Hi guys,

My librarian friend has gotten back to me with some pertinent questions (see
below). I'd like some feedback so that I can provide him with some
information so that he can take his proposal to the LISWA committee that he
sits on. He is quite positive about helping out, but it would be helpful if
we could help him out by providing him with some useful information.

Thanks,

Sol

Dude,

Thanks for all the spam, but what I really need is not reasons to take =
linux on but what exactly you want us to take - spell it out in words of =
one syllable!  This way I have a hypothetical proposal that I can wave at =
other librarians... =20

Q.  What version of linux?
A. -

Q.  What format is it in? (eg. CD-ROM, CD-ROM + book, etc.)
A.  -

Q.  What will it cost?
A.  -

Q.  Can you (read PLUG) arrange supply or do we need to do that ourselves?
A.  -

Q.  Are there any licensing issues to worry about?
A.  -=20

Q.  Does it fall within the realm of an 'information resource', which is =
what libraries are about?
A.  -

Q.  Do you see us loaning it out or having a supply to sell/give away?
A.  -

I know these are very pedantic questions but if I am going to suggest the =
holding of Linux to LISWA/other public libraries then I need to be very =
clear on exactly what it is that I am proposing.  Meanwhile, I have a look =
in the pr
ofessional (read library) literature, and see if there is any =
precedent for libraries providing this service.
Copya!
Steve