[plug] Fwd: Linux in libraries

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Feb 1 14:21:19 WST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Sol wrote:

> Thanks for all the spam, but what I really need is not reasons to take =
> linux on but what exactly you want us to take - spell it out in words of =
> one syllable!  This way I have a hypothetical proposal that I can wave at =
> other librarians...
>
> Q.  What version of linux?
> A. -

I know this is an ambiguous answer BUT any version with an ISO on planetmirror
That way it will have a minimal cost to PLUG.

> Q.  What format is it in? (eg. CD-ROM, CD-ROM + book, etc.)
> A.  -

CDROM - burnt and labled. Some distros may require multiple disks

> Q.  What will it cost?
> A.  -

It would be nice if LISWA would pay .. $100/year.  To cover disks,
labling and cdburner ware and tear.  If that is a _major_ problem then we
should be able to do it for naught.  That would really need to be sorted out by
the committee.

> Q.  Can you (read PLUG) arrange supply or do we need to do that ourselves?
> A.  -

With a 7 day lead time I will say:
Yes PLUG can supply one copy, of each required distro (and replacemnts should
that be required).  If LISWA needs more I'm sure they can copy them

> Q.  Are there any licensing issues to worry about?
> A.  -

Not that I'm aware of, we are only burning CD's that are avilable on the 'Net
anyway.  May need to get a lawyer to verify our thinking here.

> Q.  Does it fall within the realm of an 'information resource', which is =
> what libraries are about?
> A.  -

I would say yes.  Linux is both information and educational.  I don't know
thier exact definition of 'information resource' tho.

> Q.  Do you see us loaning it out or having a supply to sell/give away?
> A.  -

Yes LISWA would treat them like any other 'information resource' they
currently deal with.  ie loan them out to other libraries.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */