[plug] traffic requirements for woody mirror

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Feb 1 16:53:40 WST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Russell Steicke wrote:

> Unfortunately, if the estimate of 70MB/day for woody update traffic is
> even close, I will have a very hard time justifying hosting a mirror at
> work.  We currently mirror redhat and mandrake updates from aarnet,
> which would only have a tiny part of that traffic over a length of time.
> The approach is that we buy CDs of new releases when required, and use a
> tiny bit of bandwidth for the updates.  Debian doesn't fit that model
> very well.

You are forgetting woody is not stable (yet) - it is Work In Progress,
hence the large number of updates. If you want to do the same thing for
Debian as you are doing for RH et al, you need to mirror "potato" and only
sync the security updates from security.debian.org, and then do an update
every time a new sub-release (like 2.2r5 recently) is announced.

Then buy the CDs when woody is proclaimed stable, and do the same thing.

 - Matt