[plug] Introduction and Queries

Matthew Robinson matt at zensunni.org
Tue Feb 5 09:24:19 WST 2002

Hi,

First a short introduction:

I'm a Linux user who is currently in the UK, but i'll be moving to Perth in
about 3 weeks time (hopefully for good).  I came across PLUG while looking
for a group of like minded souls in Perth.

Hopefully, once I have settled I will be able to offer something to the
Linux community in Perth.  I have some (amateur) experience of kernel
hacking.  I also have Linux running on my Compaq iPAQ and have this
connected to the Net via IEEE802.11b.

If for some bizarre reason you have already read my .sig (presumably to see
how the story ends) you you might also recognise me as a perl programmer[1]
:)  I am equally at home using Windows NT/2000[2] and Linux,  I'm not
particularly bigoted either way but I feel more comfortable in the command
line world of Unix.

Anyway, enough about me, I have a couple of queries:

I have found the entry for Perth.pm (the Perth perl mongers) on the web and
I was wondering how active this group is.  I come from London.pm which is
extremely active (although most discussions tend to be about Buffy and
Ponies!) and I am hoping to find something similar (possibly with a little
less in the way of ponies :)

Secondly, before I leave the UK I will be backing up my machines using a
friend's DAT (DDS-3) tape streamer and I was wondering if anyone could
suggest where I might be able to rent/borrow a similar device in Perth,
should the need arise to recover some data :(.

Matt

[1] Yes, it really is perl (unless HotMail has helpfully modified it for you
:)

[2] In case anyone notices: Yes, this mail was sent from Outlook Express.
My machines are in the process of being dismantled for shipping and needs
must :)

--
s&&!msfQ!&&s&$&utvK&&s&(Q)&\1!sfiupoB&&s&^&reverse Ibdlfs&e&s&^&#
&&s&$&#!uojsq&&s&(.)&chr(ord($1)-1)&ge&s&(.*)&reverse $1&see