OT: posting ettiquette, Was: Re: [plug] plip windows 98 <-> linux

Andrew Pamment apamment at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 14:33:39 WST 2002

[snip snip snip trim snip]

(Some Parts Might Be Slightly Off Topic) It does in fact contain a
merger of three topics.

How about that I trimed the lot!

Top posting? Trimming? 3 panneled windows ? eh? a jedi craves not these
things.

Flame wars on how to compose emails? This is the path to the darkside.

I am pretty sure that it *is* possible to make a plip link between a
Win98 box and a Linux box, because I *know* it's possible with Win95 and
Linux. The Plip howto was written many eons ago.

Close your eyes master, what do you hear?

I hear the PLIP Howto, The Windows DCC nightmares and the grasshopper at
my feet.

Do you not hear the Linux Compatable PLIP packet driver and ODI shim?

No grasshoper? How do you hear such things?

How is it, master, that you do not?

It's like one of those old Netware Drivers. You put in the packet driver
then the link support layer then the odi shim, windows networking takes
care of the rest. Thats the theory, so you can add TCP/IP, IPX,
Netboowwiee whatever. So far it works, Windows recognizes it, the odi
helper thing says that everything is good. It doesnt have anything to do
with Trumpet Winsock.

So shoot me. Call me a fool. Maybe I am.

And none of my posts are entirely crap, i mean, come on, dont you get
bored of reading things that have capitaL letters in the rigHt places
all the time corret spelling and perfect. grammer. not to mention
dreadfuly boring. Linux is meant to be fun. The logo is a Penguin, do
not tell me that was a clever marketing strategy.

BTW: Trimming and top posting I don't think are for claritys sake. It's
to preserve bandwith. 300bps modems are notoriously slow when
downloading thirteen levels of quotes that nobody bothered to trim. but
I'm willing to bet that no one here uses anything slower than a 14.4k
modem and if you do, you deserve to be inconvienienced. Unless of course
your using a packet modem over amature radio then I humbly apologise,
but you would be getting about 2400 at least right? If you ask me, Top
posting is easier to understand. At the top you have the new stuff, at
the bottom you have the old stuff if you need to reference it. When you
chop it up, it might seem easy to understand in your client.. but when
your quotes are too long and it word wraps them and forgets to put in
the quote sign for the wrapped bit and you are trying to figure out if
that was new stuff or part of the quote... believe me, some people still
use their C64s to get on the net.. try fitting 80 characters across that
while still being able to read it.

Besides, If you can't understand my emails, you proberly wont be able to
understand my questions.

Now, I don't want to be a pain in the bum, and I dont want to start a
war, if I do that, well, I'll just change my name and leave the country,
you can battle it out between yourselves.

- it really isn't important -

If you don't like reading emails correctly formated according to the
intergalactic email formatting process revision A then you willl notice
I convieniently mark my posts with a from header, that usually remains
the same. If that's too difficult, I'll just go away.

Which may not be a great loss to you, or indeed me.

Now, I need a bananas in pyjamas blow up pool. My flatmate would not
allow an indoor pool in our living room. We ran out of funny faces.

Andrew

--

- Lord of the Rings is boring. There is a distinct lack of giant robots
in it. Good movies have giant robots, bad movies don't. -james