[plug] Back to plip win98 <-> linux

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Tue Feb 5 14:59:23 WST 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 02:33:39PM +0800, Andrew Pamment wrote:
[ ... ]
> I am pretty sure that it *is* possible to make a plip link between a
> Win98 box and a Linux box, because I *know* it's possible with Win95 and
> Linux. The Plip howto was written many eons ago.

Seriously, if you actually manage to do it, I'd _really_ like to hear how.

I remember reading in the PLIP howto that it was possible with DOS, but
didn't think it had been managed with Win95 (or newer).

> Do you not hear the Linux Compatable PLIP packet driver and ODI shim?
>
> No grasshoper? How do you hear such things?
>
> How is it, master, that you do not?

I probably wasn't listening. D'oh.

BTW, you can just call me Pete. Or "hey you". :)

> So far it works, Windows recognizes it, the odi helper thing says that
> everything is good.  So shoot me. Call me a fool. Maybe I am.

Not at all, not at all...

So hang on, just to be clear - you actually have a functioning TCP/IP link
between a Windows machine and a Linux machine over PLIP? You can ping and
ssh and ftp and everything?

Wow. Cool.

[ ... ]
> but when your quotes are too long and it word wraps them and forgets to
> put in the quote sign for the wrapped bit and you are trying to figure
> out if that was new stuff or part of the quote...

A useful point for those of you who _do_ use Vim to write emails (assuming
you didn't already know): it can reformat paragraphs of text while
PRESERVING the correct '> ' indentation levels. 'Tis good.

:set textwidth=70

...or whatever you prefer, then you can select a bunch of lines in command
mode and type 'gq'. Presto, reformatted paragraphs! Nice!

We now return you to your normal programming.

> If you don't like reading emails correctly formated according to the

But I _do_ like reading correctly formatted emails! :)

> same. If that's too difficult, I'll just go away.
> Which may not be a great loss to you, or indeed me.

No no no no. Stay. At least until you've told us in great and vivid detail
how you managed the PLIP-on-Windows setup, but preferably longer.

> Now, I need a bananas in pyjamas blow up pool. My flatmate would not
> allow an indoor pool in our living room. We ran out of funny faces.

I guess an indoor pool in your living room would at least be better than an
outdoor pool in your living room.

Either would certainly be a decisive internal decoration statement.

> Andrew

"Ba-na-nas... in pyjamas... are spla-shing in a pool..."

Dammit, now that's in my head. Ow.

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your thing.