[plug] DVD player

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Wed Feb 6 21:11:22 WST 2002

On Wednesday 06 February 2002 20:47, John Knight wrote:
> DVD playback is an absolute bugger under Linux! The Hollywood+ chipset and
> Creatives DXR2/3 chipsets are both supported but I'm not game enough to go
> through the installation process for my Videologic card (Hollywood+ based)!

I dispute that DVD playback is an absolute bugger under Linux - I use Xine
(http://xine.sourceforge.net) on my Toshiba Laptop (with internal DVD drive).
It's so much better than the Windows player. I do concur with Pete - dvd-nav
(http://dvd.sourceforge.net) is good. There's a bit of shagging 'round
because you have to install libdvdcss and libdvdread (from memory) but this
is mainly because of everyone's fear of the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright
Act).

I've got a Savage4 - note that you need a video card which has Xv support on
XWindows to make it worthwhile. You can download and test xine before
purchasing a drive. You also get better sync if you have an Alsa supported
sound card rather than an OSS one.

> Here hold on, you mean a DVD-ROM drive. Bloody hell, doesn't anyone know
> the difference between the two? Ask for a DVD and someone'll say "What
> movie?", not ask what sodding brand you want! Nnngnnnnnnnnnngggg! Sorry, I
> get rather emotional about that issue, never mind.

Get over it.

Anthony