[plug] portmap: unrecognised service

Bruce Fountain fountainb at switch.aust.com
Thu Feb 7 10:44:07 WST 2002

On Thursday 07 February 2002 10:27, Steve Grasso wrote:
> Check for the presence of /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap. I suspect it won't be
> there, or that the portmap installation is broken for some reason.
> Now check for a portmap sym link in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and/or /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
> prefixed by S and a number. If there, change the name of the file (perhaps
> change uppercase S to lowercase s). That will prevent portmap from
> attempting to start next time you reboot.

The only reference to portmap I can find under /etc/rc* is in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs:

   # See how we were called.
   case "$1" in
     start)
           [ -n "$NFSFSTAB" ] &&
         {
           [ ! -f /var/lock/subsys/portmap ] && service portmap start
           action "Mounting NFS filesystems: " mount -a -t nfs
         }

I have one nfs mounted filesystem. Maybe adding this entry to fstab
is what broke things, although it mounted okay at the time. It
is this sort of thing that makes me feel like the system secretly
reconfigures itself overnight.

Does nfs need portmap? Should I install portmap? If so, how? (still
haven't quite got the hang of these rpm thingies).

--
Bruce Fountain (fountainb at switch.aust.com)
Senior Software Engineer