[plug] BIND

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Thu Feb 7 15:01:07 WST 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 03:33:15PM +0800, Andrew  Barbara wrote:
> I have just installed an RH7.2 server and BIND 9.1.3-4 came on it by
> default. I started bind and tryed to do a dig but it just tmed out.
> My /etec/resolve.conf has "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in it on the second
> line under the search statement.  The iptables is empty.  What could
> be wrong?

Lots of possibilities. A few:
- the server has no route to the Net
- named is not running (I know you said you started it, but you never
  know)
- named is incorrectly configured (lots of possible ways it could be -
  'grep named /var/log/messages')
- You send HTML email, bind detected this and is consequently refusing
  to play with you.

Have a look at:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-3.html

Colin