[plug] BIND

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Feb 7 15:05:05 WST 2002

> I have just installed an RH7.2 server and BIND 9.1.3-4 came on it by default. I started bind and tryed to do a dig but it just tmed out. My /etec/resolve.conf has "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in it on the second line under the search statement.
I hope you mean /etc/resolv.conf (resolv not resolve)... unless rhat has
changed something drastic it is resolv.conf like every other *nix.
Anyway, resolv.conf doesn't matter much for _testing_ dns server, you
want to

dig @127.0.0.1

if you were just using "dig" before.

host <some-defined-fqdn> 127.0.0.1

can be handy too, and as root (or sudo - if it isn't installed, well
time to install it!):

nmap -sU localhost -p 53-54

can tell you if port udp/53 is open for local traffic at least, telling
you that named is running and bound to the right port.

> The iptables is empty.
But does it show ACCEPT policies or DENY ? Of course, DENY on local
loopback tends to be kinda obvious but you never do know...

> <HTML><HEAD>
Sorry, but please don't post HTML to mailing lists! Most mail programs
give you the option of turning off HTML mail for select recipients if
you have it enabled by default.

hope this is of some help.

--
Craig Ringer                                       IT Manager, POST Newspapers
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/           http://oberthur.dyndns.org/~craig/