JFS on 2.2.x (was RE: [plug] Long kernel-linked PCMCIA delay?)

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 9 11:49:59 WST 2002

<snip>

> I upgraded to 2.2.18 so I could use ext3, and compiled
> my own pcmcia modules from the pcmcia-source package.
> Everything still works, but now when pump tries to get
> an IP for the machine, it takes about 40 seconds (as
> opposed to 5 seconds for 2.2.17).

I thought ext3 support in 2.2.x kernels stopped at 0.0.3, and they're up
to something like 1.0.4 now.
Can anyone shed further light on this as I'd prefer to use ext3, but I'm
limited to 2.2 kernels for PPTP masquerading amongst other things.

AFAIK RedHat stopped dev'ing ext3 on 2.2 at 0.0.3
(http://beta.redhat.com/index.cgi?action=ext3)

Even then, the source they provide doesn't cleanly patch or dovetail with
the 2.2.19 or the (preferable) 2.2.20 source. RHAT provide 2.2.17 only for
ext3 dev. The dates are 31st Oct, 2000! so it's kinda long in the tooth
and I'd given up and not said anything because redhat had dropped it soooo
long ago...

Caveats on 2.2?

paraphasing - "SOFTWARE RAID1 and RAID5 WILL NOT WORK" (their caps)
& HW Raid should work as per normal (ext2)...

Default Journal for a while was 8MB for RAM reasons but they've upped it
to 15MB -- not much cop for a v.busy 60GB+ drive IMHO.

All ext3 kernals ATM are debug with kbd, meaning "PAUSE" key will go to
the debug mode and from there, you're in the bowels of the kernal as far
as tracing goes (big hint... "g" resumes, just like the Mac programmers
screen)