[plug] Web Server Specs

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 11 15:18:48 WST 2002

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 14:19, Adrian Woodley wrote:
> G'Day all,
> 	 Its an important tmie in a young man's life when he gets to set up his
> first rack-mount web server. Having not done anything of this magnitude
> before I looking to the plug members for some guidance. The main questions
> I have are :-
> 	Whats more important, RAM or Mhz?
> 	Is RAID worth it?
> 	Is one BA (Big Arse) server better than two smaller servers?
> 	Whats a good backup methodology?
> 	What kind of specs are required (ie Speed, RAM)?
>
> 	I understand that enough RAM to hold the entire website is a good thing,
> but does that hold true for a database as well? Any further general
> comments would be greatly appreciated.

A vague guide:
 - buy RAM. The more RAM the better; you can handle more requests as you
have room for lots of apache processes, etc.
 - RAID-1 is a godsend. Software RAID under Linux is nice and simple.

Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame at ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175
The University of Western Australia     Fax: +61 8 9380 1109
                                     CRICOS: 00126G