[plug] Windows X-client

Mark Nold markn at enspace.com
Mon Feb 11 21:06:23 WST 2002

Not what you were asking for but i found after playing around with a few
XServers for windows i just installed VNC and with its tiny < 200K Viewer it
does the job perfectly for remote admin. (Add Putty for a top SSH client and
you only have do grab less than 1Mb of files from your box to do everything
remotely)

On to your actual question... i really liked WinaXe from www.labf.com from my
trials.... its got a 30minute timeout or pay. Using this with Xdmcp was
loverly, but for reading my mail, using Konqueror and a bit of admin stuff
and Freeciv it wasn't worth $90 and the hassle of setting it up (not
diificult, but more work than VNC)

I also like the fact that with VNC i can kick off a download or whatever on
the remote box via the browser and disconnect and go to work or whatever and
the session is still going when i get back. (Yes i could script this instead
but it is nice to stay in the browser)

There is also an article on Windows / Linux and xservers in APC December 2001
that is quite quick and easy.

Hope this helps

mn