[plug] Windows X-client

Andrew Francis locust at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 11 21:17:38 WST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Mark Nold wrote:

> Not what you were asking for but i found after playing around with a few
> XServers for windows i just installed VNC and with its tiny < 200K Viewer it
> does the job perfectly for remote admin.

*seconds*

VNC works so well for me that I'm not even looking at Windows X servers
anymore. Just fire up Xvnc (there's a really convenient wrapper called
vncserver that makes it effortless) and then run vncviewer on the Windows
machine and point it to your Unix box.

I don't notice any performance difference between the two over a 10mbps
network. VNC can get a bit of a bad rap regarding speed; I guess this is
because usually people connect to a VNC server running on Windows which
*IS* really slow (because it has to jump through hoops and continuously
poll the display to figure out what's happening). This criticism doesn't
apply to the X vnc server.

The only thing VNC can't do is a "rootless" display where the
windows from your X session sit alongside your native "Windows (tm)"
windows.

--
Andrew Francis
locust at iinet.net.au