[plug] Modules for 2.4.17

Adam Davin badger at arach.net.au
Mon Feb 11 22:07:10 WST 2002

Good evening all,

this might be a silly question...

I have recently re-installed debian potato 2.2r2 (default 2.2.18-pre21
kernel) and after doing the various updates decided to install a new 2.4
kernel to play with iptables.

Compiled kernel and modules fine, installed the kernel to /boot, modified
lilo and installed modules using make modules_install (all as per normal so
far).

on reboot into new kernel I noticed that none of the new modules that I
specified were loaded - can't find module blah...

I also noticed that /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.dep was 0k.

I went exploring through the 2.2.18 tree and the modules.dep in there was ~
30 - 40 k from memory.

Man pages for depmod, modprobe, modules.conf, modules gave little help,
until i found modprobe -c gave a current listing of targets, with this I
went back to check the modules tree and for some reason my 2.4.17 modules
tree looks like

/lib/modules/2.4.17/~build (-> /usr/src/2.4.17)
/lib/modules/2.4.17/kernel/drivers
/lib/modules/2.4.17/kernel/fs (other directories under here)
/lib/modules/2.4.17/kernel/net (other directories under here)
/lib/modules/2.4.17/pcmcia

instead of the usual directory listings under /lib/modules/`uname -r`/

I believe I have found my problem, unfortunately I don't quite know the
solution.
Is this a problem with the module install?
should I have upgraded to woody before installing a 2.4 kernel - has there
been a change to the /lib/modules structure...??

Any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Adam Davin
(Byteme I.T. Services)