[plug] Testing CD-ROMs under VMWare

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Feb 11 22:52:45 WST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 10:39:16PM +0800, Adam Davin wrote:
> On the topic of bochs, I tried using it when I was looking for an emulator
> other than VMware, and found it hellishly slow (took something like 3 days
> to install windows 95 - seriously !! ) this was using a 200mmx somewhere
> back around september / october I think. I don't know if it was maybe a
> configuration thing or something else.

How much memory did your machine have?

Even with a rather more mature commercial project like VMWare, a _lot_ of
memory (and a pretty fast machine) is needed for the "guest" OS to run at a
tolerable speed.

Did you have a go at trying out VMWare on a similar task and see how
significant the speed difference was?

> Adam Davin

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
Catching up with all my email after the Ireland trip. Fortunately with