[plug] Testing CD-ROMs under VMWare

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Feb 12 00:16:27 WST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 10:39:16PM +0800, Adam Davin wrote:
> On the topic of bochs, I tried using it when I was looking for an emulator
> other than VMware, and found it hellishly slow (took something like 3 days
> to install windows 95 - seriously !! ) this was using a 200mmx somewhere
> back around september / october I think. I don't know if it was maybe a
> configuration thing or something else.
>
> If you have any greater success I'd be interested to know.

Have just tried Bochs, and after resolving an evil and disconcerting
font issue, it runs the demo linux 10 meg image just fine! Well, it
is noticeably sluggish, running a Linux 1.3.89 kernel on a P3-450
with 256MB of RAM... I'm scared to ask what it would be like for
Win95/98. Although I've a feeling that screen IO has much to do with
it - VMWare runs about equally slow when not in full screen mode.

Then again... it's currently booting the Debian Woody rescue
disk.... has been for about 5 minutes now... *sigh*. Looks like
you're right Adam.

Still trying to figure out how to get it to boot my CD image...
*grumble* *grumble*.

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham