[plug] Mgetty & INIT

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Feb 12 22:30:25 WST 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 09:37:54AM +0800, Andrew  Barbara wrote:
> I have the following line in my  /etc/inittab file.
>
> S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -x 1 -n 1 ttyS0
>
> This is supposed to make my modem on com1 to listen for a call.
> When I type init q or reboot the server the modem never Initializes and the mgetty process does not run.
> Although when I run
> /sbin/mgetty -D -x 1 -n 1 ttyS0 &
> from the command line it runs fine (for only one dial up of course)
> What could cause this?

I'm unfamiliar with mgetty, but perhaps there is some environment
provided by bash that mgetty needs which init doesn't provide? Are
you sure you're in the right runlevel (not 1)? Last thought, are
there any other lines in /etc/inittab that begin with S0 that may be
confusing init?

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham