[plug] porting an application

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Feb 14 23:08:22 WST 2002

On Thursday 14 February 2002 15:13, Jon  Miller wrote:
> I need to know if anyone knows or have done the following:
> We have a MS Access database program that we use for a lot of our admin
> work, we would like to have it ported to html or whatever as to allow us
> access to it via a web browser over the Internet.  I would like to have
> some input as to what is needed.  I'm being told that I may have to have a
> MS 2000 server in order to do this.

Given that Access BASIC is very similar (by design) to VB, consider feeding
the logic code to ASP2PHP and then wrapping the results in PHP. PHP has the
advantage of running on Windows so you can prototype stuff on the same box.
Dump the database out as a textish format, import it into PostgreSQL and get
Access to look at that through ODBC. If you can do that, I'd say the rest was
straightforward (not easy, just straightforward).

Cheers; Leon