[plug] porting an application

Mark Nold markn at enspace.com
Fri Feb 15 00:47:53 WST 2002

You could use a PHP DB Wrapper and talk to your Access DB through PHP so you
can give users the old way of doing things and the new (ie: Same DB but new
Web Interface). Then when you are happy with this change the database and you
should be fine.

BUT beware Access SQL is diferent from most others... eg: mid(a.column,5,2)
instead of substr(a.column,6,2) so be careful.

The biggest thing you'll have to change will be the SQL but when you are
writting your new PHP app use single quotes instead of doubles and then
you'll need to change functions (such as len() mid() etc) and the
concatenator (& in Access || in Oracle ... ???? in Postgresss) but if you use
a DB Layer you _only_ have to change the SQL.

(I have and use a DB Abstraction Layer that modifies Oracle SQL to look like
Access on the fly using regular expressions... i can send you a sample if you
need it to help during transition)

Anyway i put together some stuff on basic PHP and DB Abstraction for PLUG at:
http://www.plug.org.au/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1