[plug] OT: 2/3 height PCI slots

Andrew Francis locust at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 16 12:23:15 WST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Daniel wrote:

> What about these PCI slots and cards do you have to get special ones -
> that'll be hard if I can't find any.
> Many of the new ones aren't very big - do you just replace the metal
> backing somehow ?

We were confronted with this at work recently - a rackmount case and a
SCSI card that was too big.

The solution ended up being getting the metal stripes on the back of the
case, the gaps of which were for the short PCI backings, removed (I think
someone had a metalworking friend; although I guess a coping saw could do
it if you were patient). Then we stuck in a short riser card and mounted
the SCSI card sideways.

--
Andrew Francis
locust at iinet.net.au